Thursday, December 10, 2009

Do you hate elitism when it comes to art?

I hate it when people are perceived as "elite" or "lowest common denominator" when it comes to taste in film or music. That masses, especially young people would prefer a rock concert rather than a musical or opera. These people are then considered "lowest common denominator" especially by critics. It's the same with film. Films that entertain the masses are considered to be "lower" than the artistic films that critics rave about. It seems that in order for art to be of "high level" it has to be unentertaining, difficult to understand and at times even boring. The elitists always seem to prefer things to be artistic or elegant and beautiful rather than 'cool' or 'awesome' and regard all who go for this sort of thing as 'lesser' than they are. I listen to film scores but I don't regard my friends who listen to heavy metal/black metal to have bad taste. They're just different.



Do you hate elitism when it comes to art?opera score



I agree in a way. There are multiple forms of art in the world, and not because there is a common standard of art do I have to like what critics say.



I do believe in reading, watching and listening to many different trends in order to have sustained reasons (of your own) to say why you like or dislike something.



I personally watch and listen to whatever I like and don't care if people say it is art or not.



Do you hate elitism when it comes to art?musicals opera theater



Perhaps they confuse good writing material with scripts difficult to comprehend or scripts that encourage lethargy with so called "intelligence". However they are correct about the current situation with hip hop; it's officially dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin lightening